Sigh.

So remember how I started that project with bamboo yarn and beads? Because of a couple of large gift-knitting projects, I haven't made much progress, and I'm not so sure I like what I've got:

It's a 3x3 rib with fake cable twist every 4 rows, except I skip the cable-thingy on the rows with beads.



What I like:
-the yarn. Bamboo yarn is strong and crisp, not elastic and I doubt it will be a source of warmth for the wearer, but is nice for a decorative scarf.
-the beads. Shiny, yes, and cheap, true, but fun nonetheless. I'm totally digging knitting with beads. It keeps things interesting and was much easier than I thought.

What I don't like:
-I think the ribbed cable is too dense for this project. I should use a version of this pattern with a soft wool to make a scarf for warmth, not decoration. What I've got here is already kind of heavy and it's only about 8" long.
-the bead pattern. I'm not naturally gifted at design. I don't have a sophisticated sense of proportion or symmetry - not that this has stopped me from trying. Occasionally I hit the mark, but not this time. The bead pattern just isn't doing it for me.

What should I do?
-Frog it and start anew?
-Leave it to ponder for a while?
-Start a new beaded project that I naively assume will turn out better than this one?

Meantime, I'll try and post soon about something I'm working on that doesn't look like crap, because believe it or not, when it comes to knitting I'm more often successful than not...when I'm going with someone else's pattern, that is.

Comments

Okay, so I'm not a knitter, but I do like to think I have a flair for the creative. So, I'm thinking - what if you frogged it all (since the yarn doesn't fray, as you said) and started over with a more open, or holey, pattern involving the beads? Something more airy, so to speak? You said the yarn itself wouldn't do well for warmth, so why try knitting it into a pattern that is designed for warmth? Does this help you any, or should the "muggle" here just shut up? LOL! Hope this helped some in the idea department!
Suze said…
thanks, muggle!! :) I think something holier (heh) would be nice. i have a book of stitch patterns that might be helpful to peruse. also, i'm working on a lace project (can't be revealed yet) that i am really enjoying, so this may be a good option.

Popular Posts