Little Elf

Here's a little something I whipped up for a friend whose daughter was born about a month ago. I call it Little Elf, and it's being modeled by my own babe. Surprisingly enough, he didn't tug it off of his head right after I put it on him. The hat turned out a wee bit bigger than I anticipated, but babies grow, so it's all good. I actually finished this over a week ago, but I wanted to give it time to arrive there before posting pictures.




Yarn: RYC CashSoft DK in "Sweet" (light pink) and Kingfisher (teal).
Guage: ? Probably what's on the label: 22st/4", though I'm sure it stretched some after blocking.
Pattern: My own, though I took the idea from the latest Debbie Bliss book, which includes a pointed hat she calls "Pixie." Sorry there's no link, but the book isn't on Amazon or her website. Odd.

Now, I have a few things to say about this yarn. The Rowan/RYC/Debbie Bliss yarn empire have so many yarns with this blend: merino/microfibre/cashmere - in aran, DK and sport weight. This yarn is so soft that it's a dream to knit with. But it's expensive and it pills and I'll be darned if it doesn't always stretch width-wise after blocking. I've made several things with Debbie Bliss casherino aran, I did this here hat in Cash Soft DK, I have a few more skeins of the latter waiting to be made into some baby thing or other, and I have a single skein of Baby Cashmerino (sport weight) that I'm planning to do a beaded hat with. So I'm obviously a total sucker. Plus, babies grow out of things so quickly there isn't time for garments to get seriously deformed and stretched to the size of a baby tent. But I am done buying any version of this yarn. There is no way I would knit an adult sweater out of any of these; I'm sure it wouldn't hold up.

There. I've said it. You've been warned.

(By the way--the bead/bamboo project has not been frogged, nor has it been forgotten. I think I've got the makings of a good idea, but I'm letting some ideas simmer in my brain first. I'll post more about that when I actually have something to show you.)

Comments

Aww, they're both so cute - the hat and the wee babe! Of course, Daniel is cuter, but still... Thanks for posting those adorable pics!

Popular Posts