injured

I think I've incurred a knitting injury. My area on my right hand between my thumb and forefinger is a little swollen, and it hurts when I have to grip things, like getting a full jug of milk out of the fridge, or digging up a particularly aggressive dandelion, or lifting up one of my children for whatever reason. This has happened to me before, but rarely. I knit all the time, so I'm not sure what caused it, but I suspect it's the culmination of several things: going gangbusters on a test knit with KP Zephyrs, carrying Anya around for at least half an hour during Saturday's protest when she got cold and tired, much digging and weeding in my front garden, and the general tension I always carry in my neck and shoulders. Fortunately, this sort of thing doesn't affect piano playing, which doesn't require any grip. Still, I have a performance this weekend, so it's probably wise to lay off knitting for a couple of days just to be careful.

We've been spending a lot of time gardening this week, the kids and I. They are particularly fond of helping me water the plants. Notice the bandanas! I wear one to protect my scalp from the sun. They like to copy me, so there you go.




Comments

On the hand issue, sounds like what has been dubbed "Mommy Thumb". I believe there are some simple stretching exercises listed somewhere on the interwebz you can do to alleviate the pain. Just search for "Mommy Thumb" and see what you can find. Hope this helps, and as always, your kids are just too stinkin' cute!
Suze said…
Jenn-Jenn, I do believe you're right. That's exactly what it feels like! Too bad knitting makes it worse :(

Popular Posts