Day 7

Day seven: Your knitting and crochet time.
Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.

I don't often knit in groups. I have a couple of knitting friends (we used to be a "group" but several moved out of state, and we're down to just three), and we try to meet a few times per month, but I almost always have Daniel and Anya with me, which means, ironically, that I can't knit when I'm with my knitting friends. I've also been involved in trying to revive a knitting group with the church I am a part of, but we've kind of derailed the last couple of months because everybody has been so preoccupied with protests and the political situation here. (I feel like I can't emphasize enough the impact of this on daily life in Madison, at least for those of us who pay attention to such things. And the people at my church - knitters and otherwise - do pay a lot of attention.)

Most of my knitting is done in the evening in front of the TV, usually with Stuart, though sometimes he gets involved with a programming project and I just watch whatever's on PBS, or sometimes trashy crime shows when I really want to zone out. When it gets gross I just look down at my knitting. Sometimes if the kids are playing nicely without demanding my attention, I can sneak in a few rows or rounds during the day, but these opportunities are rare. I'm still waiting to be the mom who can sit on the park bench and knit while the kids run around on the playground, but there seems to be no end to the demands to play tag or push the swing or watch while Someone Climbs a Tree.

I do knit in the car, and long road trips are an excellent opportunity for this, since Stuart generally prefers to do the driving.

I often wish I had more time to knit, but I find it nearly impossible to just sit and knit. I need to have something else going on, even if it's just listening to NPR, or having a conversation with someone. Those rare moments when I have the house to myself, I usually spend that time doing housework because knitting just feels like wasting the opportunity. Isn't that sad?

Comments

Popular Posts