here goes nuthin'

Well, everyone. Here goes nuthin'!



I've spent the whole evening writing up the pattern and charts for a yellow hat I made Anya over the summer. I meant to publish the pattern here months ago, in time for fall knitting, but I wanted to make real charts and didn't have the software. I tried using Excel, briefly, but it just wasn't working for me. So on a recommendation from Revknits, I sent my husband an email with a link to Intwined Studio and the simple message "I want this!" and lo and behold, I got it for my birthday a couple weeks ago!



This evening is the first time I've really had a chance to sit down and play with the program, and boy is it nice. I'm not great at navigating unfamiliar software, unfortunately, but this program is fairly intuitive. My only problem now is that I don't know how to get everything into one whole document; the text and charts are all saved as separate files, which is kind of annoying. Also, they look tiny on this blog post, and I'm not sure what to do about that. If you click on the images, though, you'll get something regular-sized to look at.

BUT, you guys get a free pattern out of deal. With charts! And now that I'm having so much fun with it, I plan to re-write a couple of my older patterns because really, those line-by-line instructions for cables make me crazy.

Without further ado...



Anya's Bobbly Hat

Description: This little topper knits up easily in a DK weight yarn for your favorite toddler! Sweet bobbles and a bold rippling cable make for interesting knitting that is easier than it looks. Really. The decreases at the top of the hat are a little more complicated, but were designed to preserve the swirl of the cables as they approach the crown. Consider sizing up the gauge for a hat that would fit an older child or adult.

Finished size: approx. 17" circumference unstretched; cable pattern allows for considerable stretch!

Skills required: knit, purl, knitting in the round, working cables, working bobbles, make one, decreasing with k2tog and p2tog,
reading charts

Materials needed:
2 skeins Valley Yarns Superwash DK in "soft yellow" (50g, 137 yards superwash merino wool); the hat actually requires just over 1 skein Circular needles: size 3 and size 6, each 16" long, plus one set size 6 DPNs for crown decreases Cable needle

Gauge: 22st = 4" in st st on size 6 needles, 28st = 4" in pattern st on size 6 needles

Note: on Round 14 of decrease chart, the first p2tog requires that you use the last stitch of Round 13 for the decrease. The
missing stitch is shown on Round 14 on the chart.

Instructions for hat:
With size 3 needles, using method of choice (I always use long-tail), CO 124 stitches and join in the round, being careful not to twist stitches.

Work in k2p2 rib for 3.5", or desired length of brim.

Changing to size 6 circular needles, work set-up round as follows: (p2, k5, p5, k5, M1, p3) two times, (p2, k5, p5, k6, p3) four times. You now have 126 stitches.

Begin working Chart One. The 21-stitch pattern repeats six times each round. Work all 12 rounds of Chart One twice.

Work the 20 rounds of Chart Two, noting that on Round 14 of decrease chart, the first p2tog requires that you use the last stitch of Round 13 for the decrease. (The missing stitch is shown on Round 14 on the chart.) Switch to size 6 DPNs when the decreases make working on a circular needle too difficult.

After Round 20, 12 stitches remain. (k2tog) 6 times. 6 stitches remain. Break yarn and pull through remaining stitches. Weave in ends and block hat as desired.






Comments

Jessi said…
It's a beautiful hat, and although I know nothing about it, the charts look cool. :)
ann said…
Yeah, really cool!
Heather said…
Click on the doc tab write your text, and when you want to pkace them, under document at the top, click "add chart" which will give you a pull down menufor each chart and the document key. There should be videos on youtube that walk u thru the steps as well.
Great Design! Can't wait to see what else you come up with.
Anonymous said…
It looks great - both the hat and the pattern. Glad to convert you to Intwined Studio - for the price, it does a lot!

Popular Posts