sparrow

I finally took some pictures of the little sweater I made for Anya. I finished all the knitting before our trip to VA/NC, and when we got back I sewed it up and blocked it. The whole thing only took about a week of work, though that was spread out over about a month because of stopping and starting and travelus interruptus and all.



(Looky there. I just found a chopped off tree branch in the back yard perfect for hanging handknits on for purposes of photo-taking. In lieu of live modeling, I mean.)

I really like this design. It's simple and cute and lightning fast to knit. The sleeves are cast on as part of the main body pieces, so the only seams are sides and shoulders. My seaming could be better, certainly, but even so I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.



I made size 4, and even so, the sweater took less than 2 skeins of Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece, which is one of my favorite yarns for kids' stuff. It's soft and durable and holds up incredibly well through machine washing (and even machine drying) without pilling or fraying - all this without a speck of acrylic content, too. This bizarre shade of green ("Mint Condition" says the label) is something I got in a bag full of Cotton Fleece on clearance way back when Coyote Yarns was going out of business...I think Daniel was still small enough to be carried around in his car seat, so that must have been four years ago.



Do you love the sheep button as much as I do? It's a rather precious ceramic button, but it's on a sweater for my girl, so I will take good care of it. Knowing Anya, she'll refuse to wear the sweater, so it might not get that much wear anyway. (Sigh. Someone remind me why I keep knitting for this child?)

Pattern: Sparrow, by Marie Grace Designs, size 4
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (80% pima cotton, 20% merino wool), less than 2 skeins in the color "Mint Condition", which is a rather ghastly shade of green, but somehow it works for Anya.

Now I just hope she wears it!

Comments

ann said…
Love the button, especially the texture. The sweater's great, too!

Too bad Anya won't wear anything you make for her, but all the better for consignment later.
Caffeine Girl said…
What a sweet sweater. I love the button. I personally would wear buttons like that!
Jessi said…
So very cute! I would never, never pick that color, but it's perfect. I bet it'll look great on your little redhead, too.
YarnPlayCafe said…
I love Marie Grace's patterns and the sweater is adorable! The button just makes it. I'm stalking you just a little bit (I live in Madison, too) from Ravelry. If you ever want to knit with a group, we have a fun one meeting at Barriques on Old Sauk Wed nights at 7pm. - Jen
Sue said…
The sweater looks very pretty, and yes I love knitting with that cotton too. I knit a top for my daughter when she was about 3 and she loved wearing it because it was so soft. The sheep buttong is very cute!

Popular Posts