moth

No knitting content today, I'm afraid. I'm slogging through the last part of that purple cardigan, but I have to say the stunning weather and long hours of daylight makes it hard not to spend the whole day outside playing in the dirt. My hands are just too muddy to sully good wool! Fortunately, the kids like being outside as much as I do. They play in the sandbox while I scoop mulch and pull weeds. Occasionally, Daniel tries to help by getting out his kid-sized shovel, but his idea of digging is really just whacking at the ground half-heartedly. At least he can't do much damage that way.

Anyway, this afternoon I was planting some things in the front garden - a lovely variety of woodland perennials my friend gave me from her own garden - and plop! Suddenly this huge moth landed right in front of me.



Isn't it gorgeous? That sucker is has a good 3" wingspan. It wasn't moving a whole lot, even when I prodded it gently with a stick (I shouldn't have done that, I know, but I wanted to see if it was still alive. It was.) It stayed around long enough for Daniel to look at it (he wanted to poke it with a stick, too, but I wouldn't let him), and then I got the camera for a picture. Later in the evening, though, it was gone. I like to think he (she?) went on his (her?) merry way to munch leaves or lay eggs or whatever moths do this time of year. Or maybe it went off to die. I just don't know. I know shockingly little about biology.

Does anyone know what kind of moth that is? First commenter with a correct answer just might win some stash yarn!

ETA: Props to Jenn-Jenn for getting the right answer right away! Here is the link she had in comments. Jenn's a new knitter who lives in the heat of south Texas, but I'm sending her yarn anyway!

Comments

That looks like a Polyphemus moth, or Antheraea polyphemus. More info available at http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3290.

:-)
Suze said…
Jenn, that was definitely it! Thanks! And by the way, what's your favorite color?
Oh, wow. You were serious about sending yarn? Umm.... whatever you want to get rid of, I guess? I'm still learning to knit, and quite frankly, I have to admit the knitting needles have been sitting idle for about a month as I try to get ready to move. So, any color you want to get rid of will work. At this point, Jamie has been more diligent about practicing knitting than I have.
Suze said…
Okay, I'll surprise you!
Anonymous said…
This is the moth I painted my daughter with! I have a pic of it on the blog. Awesome! Aren't they cool? Freaked me out!
Anonymous said…
Ooooh, that's a really pretty moth!

Popular Posts