rhymes with shawl

Yesterday was my birthday. I'm a square number now! (Guess how many? As my friend Pat pointed out today, next year I'll be prime so there's nothing to worry about!) One thing I did to celebrate, other than bake myself a birthday cake and go to the library (I know you're on the edge of your seats, right?) was finish up Anya's sweater. 

We went on a walk in the last hour of real daylight in mid-afternoon, and she was game enough to slip off her coat for a few minutes so we could get pictures at the park. It was pretty cold yesterday, so we tried to make the photo session quick.


Anya is pleased as punch with her new sweater, and so am I. It fits her really well, with a little extra length in the body and sleeves for her to grow into. The yarn - Quince and Co. Lark in Winesap, Nasturtium and Carrie's Yellow- is a delight to work with. The teal stripes you see are something else from stash that I used because I knew I would run out of the Lark. As it turns out, I think the teal tempers the brightness of all that red/yellow/orange and I wouldn't do it any differently.



I made one very small modification to the pattern by knitting the cuffs with a twisted 1x1 rib instead of st st all the way down. I didn't want the cuffs to roll. Also, the original pattern calls for a button or two on the front, but I prefer the open collar so I left those off.


Here are the details with links:
Pattern: Rhymes with Shawl in size 8
Yarn: Quince and Co. Lark, 2 skeins each of Winesap (red), Nasturtium (orange) and Carrie's Yellow (yellow, obviously), plus a bit of some random wool in that heathery teal color (Patons? Ella Rae? The label is long gone)
Sticks: size 8 circs and DPNs mainly, with size 7 for collar and cuffs
Mods: Used 1x1 twisted rib for the cuffs, probably made the sweater longer too but I didn't measure, just held it up to my daughter to eye the fit, eliminated button/buttonhole


Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the colors! Anya chose them well.
Oma
Lisa said…
Adorable! So festive and bright for winter. Also, Happy Birthday!
Julie said…
ooh, what an awesome cardigan, I love the stripes and the colours you chose! good call on the twisted rib cuff.

Popular Posts