budding photographer

This afternoon I asked Daniel if he'd like to earn a dollar. Oh yes, yes! was his enthusiastic response. All he had to do was come outside in the cold and take a few pictures of me wearing my new hat. If the pictures were no good, I told him, I wouldn't ask for a refund, but I would ask him to try again.

Here is one of Daniel's practice photos while he was waiting for me to get my boots on:



As it turns out, we did not need the do-over. I think he did pretty well for a kid who's less than two weeks away from his 6th birthday, don't you?




(ETA: I soooo look like my younger brother in the picture above. Wow.)

This one is my favorite, despite the fact that the flash went off so everything is a bit washed out....but I love how you look at this picture and wonder what I'm looking at? (Answer: staring absent-mindedly at the treetop. Not as enthralling or thought-provoking as you'd think, but it's the truth. Hey, it's been a looooong week.)



And the hat? The hat. The. Hat. Was supposed to be one of those quick-knit-it-in-one-or-two-days kind of things, but it ended up, well, not that way. I think I knit this freaking thing about four times. It started out as a plain cap with a long brim that would fold over, but I only had one skein and ran out of yarn. So then I tried a couple different slouchy beret-type patterns, and they looked kind of dumb. Finally, I settled on a plain beanie with a little extra length for some slouch (to use up all the yarn but not run out too soon), and it worked, but GAH. Talk about a not-quick project! Happily, the yarn held up magnificently to all the frogging and re-knitting, and I'm pretty happy with the result, which is cute and warm and my favorite color! (Note to self: knit red things more often!)

Yarn: Some chunky alpaca hand-dyed goodness, maybe by Cascade? I lost the label long ago. I know I bought it in Kansas at The Newton Beadery, which is sadly no longer in business.
Pattern: From my noggin, for my noggin. I cast on 80 stitches on size 7 needles, then increased to 84 and switched to size 8 needles for the main part of the hat. My gauge was 4spi. I knit until I was about to run out of yarn and did a 6-point decrease rather abruptly to minimize any cone-like shape and also because I didn't want to run out of yarn again and have to frog again.

Comments

WildflowerWool said…
Great looking hat. Glad that you finally found something that you liked! Excellent photography too!

Popular Posts