two new hats

What a busy weekend: lots of biking, a bit of gardening, a dinner guest, some work on my part including staining cabinets in the basement and a little professional accompanying work. I've had little time in between for knitting, but this afternoon I finally got Stuart to take some pictures of me wearing the hats I finished a few weeks ago.

The first is from the new Elizabeth Zimmerman book Knit One Knit All. This isn't a hat so much as a bonnet, the Diamond-Back Bonnet, to be precise.



At this time, I'm the only person on Ravelry with one as a finished project, and I hope I'm not the last. It's a fun knit with intriguing construction - no surprise coming from Elizabeth Zimmerman! The diamond pattern is made with traveling slipped stitches, and the shape at the top is a clever series of decreases. And of course we have i-cord all around for a neat edge. Quite honestly, this isn't the most flattering hat I've ever come across, at least on me, but I love it anyway. EZ can do no wrong.



I'm especially happy with the yarn I chose, some Jacob wool I nabbed at the farmers' market earlier this spring from a vendor who primarily sells goat cheese (delicious goat cheese at that!). I couldn't resist the skeins of wool neatly stacked in a basket next to the table full of cheese samples. I actually bought two skeins, and this bonnet took less than one, so I've got plenty left for something else. I just have to decide what. I'm thinking mittens, maybe a pair of EZ's garter stitch ambidextrous mittens from the same book.

------------

Next up: Wurm!



I love this hat. I love it way, way more than I thought I would. For one thing, it kind of looks good on me, which I wasn't anticipating. I thought the design was fun and a good match for the yarn (Farmhouse Yarns silk blend, bought on impulse not long ago from Woodland Studios), so I cast on, figuring if it didn't work for me, I'd chuck it on the gift pile and find someone who'd like it. But it's mine, all mine!





I've only got one thing on the needles at the moment (the Liesl tunic), but lots of sewing projects on my to-do list, including some gifts with deadlines, so crafting-wise it ought to be an interesting summer. I'll leave you with my silly pose for the day:

Comments

Jessi said…
Love both, but especially the wurm! Great job.

Popular Posts