red hats for democrats!

I have joined an effort with some other knitters to knit hats for the Democrats in our state legislature. Thanks to social networking via Ravelry (esp since I don't do Facebook!) and one intrepid local knitter-activist (craftypuppylover on Rav), volunteers from Madison and beyond have volunteered to knit a hat for every one of the Fab 14 and all the Assembly Democrats. There may even be enough of us knitting to include the four Republicans who voted no (in the middle of the night!)



So all other knitting was more or less set aside for a couple of days while I knocked this one off the needles.



Pattern: Squared Away Ribbed Watch Cap (Rav link to free pattern)
Yarn: Valley Yarns Northampton in the color "red" (obviously!) from the stash. Not the stash conveniently located inside my house, I might add, but stash that was packed away in airtight containers in the shed in the backyard (oh, for a garage...). I had to put on a jacket and snow boots and go hunting for it on a cold afternoon.
Needles: size 7 circs and DPNs
Mods: I didn't really follow instructions for the decreases. It was confusingly written in the pattern, so I just kind of did my own thing. I think the original looks better, but this is all right.



My kids were both eager to model this for me, as you can see! They sat by the only window letting in good light on this chilly, cloudy day.



This hat is intended for Assembly rep Mark Pocan. He's not my rep, but I really admire his actions of the last several weeks supporting protesters and his efforts to keep the Capitol building open to the public.




I have a backlog of projects I need to finish soon, namely a sweater for my husband and that Polar Chullo hat for a friend, but first I've got to make another hat for a Democrat. I promised to knit two!

Comments

Popular Posts