finished! celtic lace scarf



My friend Julia and I both got our doctorates this May. She got her DMA in vocal performance in Houston, and I got mine here in collaborative piano. ( I actually finished in December, but went into labor with Anya the very day I was supposed to deposit some important paperwork at the graduate school, so I technically didn't "graduate" until this spring.) Julia is an incredible singer, smart, one of my most favorite musicians to work with, and on top of all that she is one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people you could ever meet.

I had to knit her something. But what? Because she just spent the last three years in Houston, Tex-ass where it is hot all year round, I had to wait until I knew what is next for her. Turns out she's spending the next academic year in Salzburg, where she'll be studying at the Mozarteum, hopefully with Barbara Bonney. Whereas I'll be spending the next year wiping poopy butts and trying to keep the house clean...but I'm not the least bit jealous, oh no.

Anyway, since Dr. Julia is a singer, and singers can NEVER have too many scarves, and I'd been admiring the lace scarf from Celtic Knits by Debbie Bliss...well, there was my answer.



I used almost 2 skeins of Bristol Gallery Buckingham, a fingering weight alpaca/silk blend in a lovely periwinkle that I bought at WEBS during this year's anniversary sale. The yarn is wonderfully buttery soft. I didn't get tired of knitting this scarf, even though the pattern repeat was easy to memorize and should have been boring. I love the simplicity of this pattern, the simple zigzaggy lace, the delicate roll of the edges.



Congratulations, Dr. Julia! I hope this keeps you warm in Austria!

Pattern: Alpaca lace scarf from Celtic Knits by Debbie Bliss
Yarn: almost 2 skeins Bristol Gallery Buckingham (80% alpaca, 20% silk, 220 yds/50g skein) in periwinkle
Needles: size 5...don't know my gauge, but I had to reduce the number of stitches in order to make a scarf rather than a bedsheet
Made for: Dr. Julia!

Comments

Popular Posts