on the needles

My knitting mojo is back! It was never really gone; I just needed the right project to get me going again, I think. Or rather, I needed the right projects, as in plural. I'm most comfortable with two or three going at once. That way I always have something else to go to if I get stuck or bored or if I mess up.

My parents are coming for a visit this week, so I spent a good part of this morning cleaning up the basement. We had the basement finished a couple of years ago, and it is a lovely space for guests, but it's also where I have my sewing stuff and my knitting projects and any other crafty junk I have accumulated, all with the best intentions, of course. When the creative juices start to flow, things can get a little disorganized down here, but I'm doing my best not to let the mess get out of hand.

My current projects are now collected in a nice big basket:


Here's a sweater I started a couple of days ago. It's a brand-new pattern full of juicy cables and I can't wait to get past the ribbing. The yarn is good, plain Cascade 220.


I am also working on a basic cardigan (Calligraphy from knitbot). It's easy, a top-down raglan design, though I'm thinking the smallest size might be a little too roomy for me, so I'm considering downsizing it by 2" or so. I have to think about just how to do that. I think just eliminating one or two increase rows and making sure the raglans are still deep enough should do the trick. For once my row gauge is spot on! I bought this yarn at Wisconsin Sheep and Wool and it's a lovely, dark heathery 50/50 merino/alpaca mix. It's been begging to be used.


Lastly, Daniel needs socks. He picked this gold color I've had in the stash for ages. I can't say I'm all that excited about sock knitting right now, but his feet keep growing, and socks are about the only hand knit thing he wants to wear anymore.


In the course of cleaning up, I did just a bit of stash reorganizing. As always, I was taken aback by just how much I've got. It's nice to have all this yarn right at my fingertips, ready to cast on a new pair of socks when someone's feet are cold, or starting a sweater to celebrate the first frost of the season. Still, there are a few things sitting in the closet making me feel guilty for having bought them in the first place, so it may be time for a clean-out. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts