It's done! But what is it...

...a potholder?



a poorly designed wine cozy?



Have you read the blog description? I don't do cozies!

Guess again...



That's right, it's Daniel's new hat!



It fits him beautifully. Thorny's suggestion that washing and blocking would relax the fabric was dead-on. I decided not to go with the suggestion of increasing at the corners because they seem to stick up enough for my taste. I'm still thinking of adding some small white pompoms to the corners to look like little snowballs.

I don't have a name for it. Do we really have to name everything we knit? It's just "Daniel's new hat" for now.

Anyhoo, to recap:

Yarn: Dale of Norway Heilo in heathery blue and white
Needles: size US 3 bamboo circulars, I think Takumi brand
Pattern: my own. I'll share instructions if anyone's interested. I borrowed the 2-color pattern from Nancy Bush's Folk Knitting in Estonia, which is full of drool-worthy color patterns.

I made this hat in part so that Daniel would have something really warm for the upcoming Wisconsin winter, and in part to practice 2-color knitting. It's a little awkward for me because I hold the yarn in my RH. Yes, both colors. I've tried knitting with two hands and it just doesn't work for me. I suppose I'm just impatient. The colorwork in this hat is far from perfect. There are puckers and uneven stitches, but blocking helped. Besides, it's just a hat. Like my mom says about imperfections in her quilting: "I guess this one's not going to the fair!"

Comments

Thorny said…
Whoo!! It's completely adorable (and the model is pretty darn cute too!).
That blue really sets off the shade of his eyes. He's a darlin' boy! And tasselly thingies would be really cute! Then he'd get a kick out of tossing his head to make the tassels dance.
Tooz said…
My mom (and her mom) used to say, "It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse!" I've found that to be true of most things that are made for children. Your son is darling, and so is his hat.
Anonymous said…
It's a head cozy.

(I should be stopped.)

Popular Posts