magpie

We did finally make it to Kentucky, though not without delay; we had to leave one day late so Anya could see the doctor to make sure her ears were all right. They weren't, but we got the appropriate meds and were on our way Monday morning.

All in all, it's been a lovely week here. There has been lots of quality time with Oma and Opa. Daniel, especially, has been hanging out with Oma and working very hard on a quilt with her. Here it is on the design wall before assembling:



I'm so impressed with his dedication to this project. It's turning out pretty nice, too. My mom did the piecing for him, but Daniel has had a real kick using her machine to do fancy stitch patterns on many of the squares. When it's all said and done I'll give him a proper FO post!

I knit one plain gray sock, but it's not worth taking a picture of just yet (part of my larger project to write up a basic sock pattern). But I do have yarn to show you! We spent the afternoon in Lexington today. Most of our time was at the Explorium downtown, but we ventured over to Magpie Yarn for a bit so I could have a look-see at the selection.

Magpie, indeed. I mean, seriously guys, the last thing I need is more yarn, but I adore this shop. I can't not go when I'm in town! The owner, Jane, is so very nice and helpful and it's one of the most appealing yarn shops I've visited, ever. She has all the yarn arranged by color, and there is tons of natural light coming in the windows and a couch to sit on and a big table with pattern books in the middle. It just feels good to be in there. And even though I probably shouldn't even have set foot in there, I did, and I didn't leave empty-handed.



The lovely olive green yarn is luxury laceweight with merino, bamboo and bison. It's the same color as my eyes (not entirely green, not quite brown) that I intend to make into a Hunter St Cowl by that crazy knitting lady GlennaC. Because of the yardage I might have to make it a bit smaller than the original design, but that's okay. I also bought some Madelintosh sock in Kentucky blue. Well, it's really called "lapis" but let's be honest here, that is nothing other than Wildcat blue, and even though I don't care a fig about basketball, it's kind of hard to be in the bluegrass this week and NOT NOTICE THAT THE UK MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM WON THE NCAA TOURNAMENT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 14 YEARS. Seriously, the riots and fires in downtown Lex started before the game even ended. Sheesh. Anyway, I'm not sure if the yarn will be socks or what. Such a vibrant blue might be too lovely for something worn on the feet. What do you guys think?

Comments

WildflowerWool said…
Sounds like you are having a great trip. I like the yarns that you bought. I think the blue would make a great pair of lace socks.
WildflowerWool said…
Sounds like you are having a great trip. I like the yarns that you bought. I think the blue would make a great pair of lace socks.

Popular Posts